National and international leadership
- Member of the UUK International Unit International Strategic Advisory Board.
- Member of the Going Global Steering Committee, British Council.
- Research Reviewer, British Council, Finnish Academy of Sciences, University of São Paulo.
Professor Colin Grant
BA, PhD, FHEA
Professor Grant is a Bath alumnus, having graduated in 1993 with a PhD on literature as a form of social communication in the German Democratic Republic from the Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies.
Professor Grant was formerly the inaugural Pro-Vice-Chancellor of International Relations at the University of Surrey (2009-12). Prior to this he was Head of the School of Arts, Communication & Humanities (2005-2007) at the University before becoming Dean of International Relations (2007-2009).
He served as inaugural chair of the University Global Partnership Network which includes the University of Surrey, North Carolina State University, Universidade de São Paulo, and has partnership relations with Fapesp and Banco Santander. He also led the South East – India Partnership Network consortium with IISER Pune, India.
Professor Grant was responsible for oversight of the running of the Surrey International Institute-DUFE, a joint academic partnership institution between the University of Surrey and Dongbei University of Finance and Economics (DUFE) in Dalian, China. He was inaugural chair of the University International Relations Committee (2008-2012) and International Advisory Board (2010-2012).
He has also worked at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh (1990-1993, 1998-2005) and the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (1995-1998).
After taking his PhD at Bath, he was a DAAD/CNPq postdoctoral fellow in the LUMIS-Institut, Universität/Gesamthochschule Siegen (Germany), and has devoted his research career to the philosophy of communication, a field in which he has published nine books. Professor Grant has extensive experience in PhD and postdoctoral supervision. Two of his current PhD students are accompanying him to Bath.
Professor Grant is a fluent writer and speaker of French, German and Portuguese and a learner of Chinese, Spanish and Korean. He is also an alumnus of the Leadership Foundation Top Management Programme.
- The Pro Vice-Chancellor for Internationalisation has overall responsibility for the development and implementation of the University’s international strategy and leadership, as well as acting as an ambassador for the University overseas to raise its international profile.
- The post is also responsible for leadership and management of the University’s International Office.
- Tel: +44 (0) 1225 383739
- Vice-Chancellor's Office, The University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY