Tip: Appliance compliance
Not all personal items are allowed under EU safety regulations.
International students should be sure to check before bringing a heating or cooking appliance from home.
Fire safety and security
All residents need to abide by common-sense health and safety rules to make sure your residences are a safe place to live.
Rules to follow include:
- minimise hazards and keep passageways, fire exits and stairways clear
- obey fire regulations and take part in fire drills when requested
- do not prop fire doors open or abuse of fire equipment, including smoke alarms and fire extinguishers
- ensure electrical items you choose to bring to residences are safe and in fully operable condition
- please be aware that we have the right to remove items should they be considered unsafe
- use kitchen appliances safely and responsibly
The on campus Security Office is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is also an off campus security service operating during the evenings and weekends and a CCTV system is in operation.
You must still take sensible precautions to avoid theft and actions which expose other residents to unnecessary risks