Become a tutor
“It's a great experience and I've learnt a lot about managing people. You've got to be caring and approachable, but you need to practise 'tough love' or they'll take advantage of you! It's a very good way to develop people skills – and it's great fun. I'd definitely recommend it.”
— Maria Woerndl, ex-Resident Tutor
Resident Tutor positions are for members of staff or postgraduate students. Being a Resident Tutor entitles you to furnished accommodation without charge. However, being a Resident Tutor is not an easy way to a rent-free life. You must be dedicated, and interested in students' welfare.
The key questions...
- are you interested in supporting students during their stay in University accommodation?
- could you encourage a spirit of community among students?
- do you want to proactively support student welfare and ensure they have a safe environment to live in?
- do you want to live in accommodation at no cost?
- do you want to work within a team and be part of something?
If your answer is yes to these questions, then please apply to be a Resident Tutor.
The hours of duty are one night per week and one weekend in four during term time, with a much-reduced service during vacation periods.