Research seminars2012/13 research seminar schedule
“ Overall it has been an amazing experience for me to study and research at Bath. ”
— Xian Gai, PhD Civil Engineering
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 386447
The Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering undertakes advanced research and offers supervision for graduate students wishing to study for a PhD or a MPhil.
We offer the following main study options:
- MPhil/PhD Architecture and Civil Engineering
- MPhil Architectural History and Theory
- MPhil Digital Architectonics
Types of research degree
We offer three types of research degree:
- PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) - typically takes three years full-time or five years part-time
- MPhil (Master of Philosophy) - typically takes two years full-time or four years part-time
- EngD (Engineering Doctorate) – typically takes four years full-time and based mainly in industry.
Why choose us?
Reputation - Our gold-standard research is conducted in a dynamic and supportive department, located appropriately in a World Heritage city that is famous for the superb quality of its built environment.
Collaboration - Our department is unique in the UK in combining both Architecture and Civil Engineering, to the benefit of both. Our international reputation is complemented by strong relationships with industry and the professions, with excellent job prospects for our graduates as for our undergraduates.
Inspiration - Research students work in a stimulating daily work environment, picking up on the buzz of studio teaching and laboratory activities that energise other areas of the building.
We also offer a range of scholarships and bursaries.
All this makes the department an ideal place to pursue a research degree, whether you aim to go on to career in academia or industry.