ahs was the overall, gold winner of the Best Fairtrade University category at the 2018 South West Fairtrade Business Awards, which took place on Friday 9 March in Bristol.
Judges of the Best Fairtrade University or College category looked at:
The Fairtrade products we use and sell. This includes over 250 items, such as tea, coffee, sugar, honey, bananas, wine and clothing. The judging panel was particularly impressed that we have introduced 33 new Fairtrade products to our Fresh retail shops in the last year.
How we communicate the Fairtrade message, by our Fairtrade Fortnight activities, print and digital marketing.
How we support Fairtrade throughout the University, with our dedicated steering group that sets targets and reviews our policy.
How we promote Fairtrade in the wider community or support Fairtrade events and campaigns. In this year’s Fairtrade Fortnight we:
- Ran a Fairtrade assembly and workshop at a local primary school
- A Fairtrade treasure hunt at the nursery on campus
- Held Fairtrade stalls on campus
- Hosted a talk from a Fairtrade producer and a lecture about Fairtrade marketing challenges
What we’ve done around Fairtrade since we entered the awards last year:
- Recruited an events assistant to advocate Fairtrade throughout the University and wider community
- Developed awareness of Fairtrade through a departmental task force group
- Introduced Fairtrade tea, coffee, sugar and biscuits for our visitors staying in our accommodation over the summer
The judges were also impressed with the opening of The Patch vegan and vegetarian deli, which opened in September 2017 and specialises in ethically sourced food.