As of 24 November 2016, more categories of students are exempt from the requirement to show academic progression and are therefore able to apply for a Tier 4 visa extension in the UK.

The new categories of Tier 4 holders able to apply in the UK are:

  • students requiring extra time because they have previously repeated study on the course they are currently on, as well as if they are going to repeat study
  • students progressing from a Bachelor’s to Undergraduate Master’s level course (e.g. BEng to MEng)
  • students progressing from an MPhil course to an MPhil/PhD course

It is important to note that students who are changing course to add a placement still need to renew their visa overseas.

You can find more information on the Student Immigration Service website, where you can find a full list of student categories eligible to apply in the UK for a visa extension.