Office opening times:
OPEN: Tuesday, Friday: 11am-3pm
CLOSED: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
Contact the IELTS Administrator:
- via email
- tel: +44 (0)1225 383409
- fax: +44 (0)1225 383135
- post: Wessex House 7.29, ASC. University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY
Contact the IELTS Officer (Saturdays only)
- tel: +44 7972 137541
Take an IELTS test
On 20 February 2015, the UK government announced important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELT) for visa purposes.
What are the changes?
If you are going to or staying in the UK, there is an IELTS test for you.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a test of English for people who do not speak English as their first language but intend to study or train in English. It tests reading, writing, listening and speaking ability and provides results in an easy-to-understand band score. IELTS is accepted by most Australian, British, Canadian and New Zealand academic institutions, and increasingly by American ones as well. The University of Bath acts as a local agent, on behalf of the British Council, for the organisation and delivery of the IELTS examinations.
In addition to the IELTS General Training and IELTS Academic tests, which you may already know of, a new type of test called IELTS Life Skills test will be introduced.
The IELTS Life Skills test will only be available for candidates who require it for UK visa applications, where lower levels of English language are required. The IELTS Life Skills test will test Speaking and Listening skills only.
IELTS tests for UK Visa and Immigration are managed by the IELTS SELT Consortium, which comprises British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
Those who are applying for a Tier 4 student visa to a Highly Trusted / Tier 4 Sponsor (HTS) to study for a bachelor or postgraduate degree are required to meet the English language level set by the institution. All British universities and colleges accept IELTS results. This means students can apply with an IELTS result from any of the 1,000 IELTS test locations worldwide unless their institution has additional requirements.
For more information on the UK visas and immigration, please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-applying-for-uk-visa-approved-english-language-tests
How to apply
Please ensure you read the terms and conditions for the University of Bath IELTS test centre before you apply. It contains information regarding test day security procedures, passport or identity document requirements, and cancellation and transfer policies.
- When you have chosen a test date, complete the IELTS online booking form on the IELTS website. We do not accept applications by post.
- Before submitting your application, please check all address details including your postcode are correct and complete. Your Test Report Form (TRF) will be posted to this address.
- A system generated confirmation will be sent once you submit your application.
- All test day details are included in the booking confirmation email. The confirmation will also include your application reference number should you need to contact us before the test.
- Once you have completed your online application you must submit the following by post:
- a photocopy of the ID used on the application (passport or National ID card). Please write your application reference number on your passport photocopy.
Please note: we now accept clear, legible e-mailed copies of your indentification documents. Your birth date, passport expiry date and photo must be clearly visible. Failure to send these documents within 4 working days will result in the cancellation of your application and loss of your test fee.
6. Make payment via the University of Bath Online Store, or using one of the other methods of payment listed in the application summary you will receive upon completion of your application. Please note:
- places are available on a strictly first-come-first-served basis
- you must submit your IELTS online booking form before making any payments.
Please contact the IELTS Office by telephone on +44 (0)1225 383409 or by email if you have any queries.
BEFORE YOU COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING FOR THE CORRECT UKVI TEST. THANK YOU
|Saturday 21st March (Academic only) FULL|
|Saturday 28th March (Academic and General) ACADEMIC AVAILABLE, GENERAL FULL|
|Saturday 11th April (Academic only)|
|Saturday 18th April (Academic only)|
|Saturday 25th April (Academic only)|
|Saturday 9th May (Academic and General)|
|Saturday 16th May (Academic only)|
|Saturday 30th May (Academic only)|
|Saturday 6th June (Academic only)|
|Saturday 13th June (Academic only)|
|Saturday 27th June (Academic only)|
|Saturday 11th July (Academic only)|
|Saturday 25th July (Academic only)|
|Saturday 1st August (Academic and General)|
|Saturday 8th August (Academic only)|
|Saturday 12th September (Academic and General)|
|Saturday 26th September (Academic only)|
|Saturday 10th October (Academic only)|
|Saturday 31st October (Academic only)|
|Saturday 21st November (Academic and General)|
|Saturday 5th December (Academic and General)|
|Saturday 12th December (Academic and General)|
Saturday 19th December (Academic only)
Please leave all your personal belongings at home. You will not be permitted to bring anything in the test room, other than your passport, and a clear water bottle. All telephones, purses, watches, and bags will locked in our secure cloak room.
We will supply any pens and pencils that are required for the test.
You can view your results online. Your Test Report Form (TRF) will be posted to the address on your application, and to the institutions to which you have applied, 13 days after taking the test. Non-delivery or postal returns of TRFs due to incomplete or incorrect address information will result in a £20.00 reprint administration fee. We will only send out re-prints for those TRFs that are returned to the IELTS Office at the University of Bath.
Additional Test Report Forms (TRFs)
Only one TRF is sent to each candidate. If you require an extra certificate posted directly to an institution or agency, after your results have released, it can be done at a cost of £15.00 (national) or £20.00 (international) per certificate. We will only post to institutions, agencies and employment offices. All additional TRFs must be approved before you pay the fee.
- Please contact the IELTS Office by email to request a TRF.
- Once your request has been approved you will be instructed to pay online.
- Once your payment has been processed your TRF will be posted to the requested agency.
Enquiry On Results (EOR)
If you are unhappy with your results, you are entitled to request a re-mark of one or some or all sections of your test. The process of requesting a re-mark costs £60, which is refunded if your score is changed upon re-mark.
- You must submit your request for a re-mark within 6 weeks of the test date.
- If you took your IELTS test at the University of Bath, please contact the IELTS Office by email to request an official EOR form.
- Once your request has been approved by the IELTS office, you will be instructed to pay online.
- Place your completed form and a copy of your payment in an envelope along with the original test report form and send it to: IELTS Office, Academic Skills Centre, Wessex House 7.29, University of Bath, BA2 7AY.
- Once a re-mark has been requested, the University of Bath test centre will send your test papers to London where they will be marked by a trained clerical marker or senior examiner employed by the British Council.
- Please note that this process can take between 6-8 weeks from receipt by the British Council in London.
- Once the paper has been remarked, you will be posted the new TRF.