Office opening times:
OPEN: Tuesday, Friday: 10:00am-2:00pm
CLOSED: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
Contact the IELTS Administrator:
- via email
- tel: +44 (0)1225 383409
- fax: +44 (0)1225 383135
- post: Wessex House 7.29, ASC. University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY
Contact the IELTS Officer (Saturdays only)
- tel: +44 7972 137541
Take an IELTS test
On 20 February 2015, the UK government announced important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELT) for visa purposes.
What are the changes?Those indivuals requiring a language test for immigration/visa purposes must now sit the UKVI SELT test. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a test of English for people who do not speak English as their first language but intend to study or already study at degree level or above. If you are applying for a Tier 4 student visa to a Highly Trusted / Tier 4 Sponsor (HTS) to study for a bachelor or postgraduate degree you are required to meet the English language level set by the institution. All British universities and colleges accept IELTS results. This means students can apply with an IELTS result from any of the 1,000 IELTS test locations worldwide unless their institution has additional requirements. The General level IELTS test can also be for those candidates wishing to emigrate to Canada, New Zealand or Australia. Please ensure you are taking the correct test, for the correct reason. The University of Bath acts as a local agent, on behalf of the British Council, for the organisation and delivery of the IELTS examinations. You can find more information on both kinds of IELTS tests on the IELTS website. This website also provides information for students looking to prepare for the IELTS test.
How to apply
- Please ensure you read the terms and conditions for the University of Bath IELTS test centre before you apply. It contains information regarding test day security procedures, passport or identity document requirements, and cancellation and transfer policies. When you have chosen a test date, complete the IELTS online booking form on the IELTS website. We do not accept applications by post.
- Before submitting your application, please check all address details (including postcode) are correct and complete. Your Test Report Form (TRF) will be posted to this address.
- A system generated confirmation will be sent once you submit your completed application.
- All test day details are included in the booking confirmation email. The confirmation will also include your application reference number should you need to contact us before the test.
- Once you have completed your online application you must submit the following by post:
- a photocopy of the ID used on the application (passport or National ID card). Please write your application reference number on your passport photocopy.
- Please note: we now accept clear, legible e-mailed copies of your indentification documents. Your birth date, passport expiry date and photo must be clearly visible. Failure to send these documents within 4 working days will result in the cancellation of your application and loss of your test fee. 6. Make payment via the University of Bath Online Store, or using one of the other methods of payment listed in the application summary you will receive upon completion of your application. Please note: places are available on a strictly first-come-first-served basis
- you must submit your IELTS online booking form before making any payments.
Test dates 2015
Please ensure you are applying for the correct test. Refer to the British Council website regarding UKVI test requirements. Refunds will not be permitted for incorrect enrolment.
Saturday 11th July (Academic only)
Saturday 12th September (Academic and General)
Saturday 26th September (Academic)
Saturday 10th October (Academic)
Saturday 31st October (Academic)
Saturday 21st November (Academic and General)
Saturday 5th December (Academic and General)
Saturday 12th December (Academic)
Saturday 19th December (Academic)
2016 test dates will be published in the coming months.
Please do not bring any personal belongings to the test. You will not be permitted to take anything into the test room other than your passport, and a clear water bottle. All telephones, purses, watches, coats and bags will locked in our secure cloak room. We will supply all the materials required for the test. Thank you.
Test Results:You can view your results online. Your Test Report Form (TRF) will be posted to the address on your application, and to the institutions to which you have applied, 13 days after taking the test. Non-delivery or postal returns of TRFs due to incomplete or incorrect address information will result in a £20.00 reprint administration fee. We will only send out re-prints for those TRFs that are returned to the IELTS Office at the University of Bath.
Additional Test Report Forms (TRFs):Only one TRF is sent to each candidate. If you require an extra certificate posted directly to an institution or agency, after your results have released, it can be done at a cost of £15.00 (national) or £20.00 (international) per certificate. We will only post to institutions, agencies and employment offices. All additional TRFs must be approved before you pay the fee.
- Please contact the IELTS Office by email to request a TRF.
- Once your request has been approved you will be instructed to pay online.
- Once your payment has been processed your TRF will be posted to the requested agency.
Enquiry On Results (EOR):If you are unhappy with your results, you are entitled to request a re-mark of one or some or all sections of your test. The process of requesting a re-mark costs £60, which is refunded if your score is changed upon re-mark.
- You must submit your request for a re-mark within 6 weeks of the test date.
- If you took your IELTS test at the University of Bath, please contact the IELTS Office by email to request an official EOR form.
- Once your request has been approved by the IELTS office, you will be instructed to pay online.
- Place your completed form and a copy of your payment in an envelope along with the original test report form and send it to: IELTS Office, Academic Skills Centre, Wessex House 7.29, University of Bath, BA2 7AY.
- Once a re-mark has been requested, the University of Bath test centre will send your test papers to London where they will be marked by a trained clerical marker or senior examiner employed by the British Council.
- Please note that this process can take between 6-8 weeks from receipt by the British Council in London.
- Once the paper has been remarked, you will be posted the new TRF.