Remote Desktop for staff
Remote Desktop allows you to work and view files and software exactly as if you were sitting at your office desk.
What you need before you remote into your work machine from off campus
- while at work, write down the id of your work computer - click Start, Computer and you will see the id in the bottom left of the window
- once off campus, make a VPN connection
- switch your work machine on using Wake on LAN (WoL)
Set up remote desktop connection on your Windows PC (works for Windows 7, 8 and 10)
- Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Remote Desktop Connection
- Enter your work computer id
- Click Connect
- Enter CAMPUS\username (your University username is found on your library card eg abc12)
- Enter University password
When you want to disconnect, right-button mouse click on the icon and select Disconnect
Remote desktop when you are on campus
You can use this method of connecting to your desktop from other University supported machines on campus. You dont need to carry out the additional steps of connecting to VPN.