Setting up VPN (Virtual Private Network) with Windows 7
1. Click on Windows start then Control Panel
2. Select Network and Sharing Center
3. Select Set up a new connection or network
4. Select Connect to a workplace and then click Next
5. Click on Use my Internet connection (VPN)
6. Enter vpn.bath.ac.uk as the Internet address, Enter University of Bath VPN as the Destination name, tick the box (optional) for Allow other people to use this connection, tick the box for Don't connect now; just set it up so i can connect later click Next
7. Type in your CAMPUS\Computing Services username (e.g. CAMPUS\sqpr55) and click Create
8. You will get a connection confirmation screen click Close
Configuring your setup VPN connection
1. Click on Windows start then on Control Panel
2. Click on Network and Sharing Center
3. Click on Change adapter settings
4. Right Click on the University of Bath VPN connection, and select Properties
5. Click the Networking tab, highlight the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option, then select Properties
6. On the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties screen, click Advanced
7. On the Advanced TCP/IP Settings windows locate the setting for Use default gateway on remote network and configure as follows:
- Untick the box if you do not require access to journals (or other external resources the University has access to), or if you wish to use iPlayer, Youtube etc.This will ensure non University traffic is directed to your ISP, and not through the University VPN connection.
- Tick the box, if you want to route all traffic through the VPN connection. This will allow access to the same resources as a PC on campus, including external resources the University subscribes to, such as Journals.
8. Click Ok on each of the 3 open windows to return to the Network Connections screen, which you can also now close.
Using your setup VPN connection
There are many ways you can run your VPN connection. Two of the easiest methods are described below.
You can either:
- Follow steps 1 to 4 in the section above, then on section 4 choose Create Shortcut instead of Properties, and accept the offer to save a shortcut on your desktop. You can then double click your newly created desktop icon, enter your username and password as required, and click Connect.
- Alternatively, left click on the network or wireless icon in your system tray (next to or near your clock in the bottom right hand corner). A list of your networks will be displayed, including the VPN connection created earlier. From here you can select the VPN connection and click Connect
When establishing this connection for the first time, you might be asked to set the network location. If you are prompted for this, choose Work Network as shown below.
Disconnecting your setup VPN connection
To disconnect your VPN session, left click on the network or wireless icon in your system tray (near or next to the clock in the bottom right hand corner), locate the active VPN connection, and click on the disconnect option.
Alternatively, logging off or shutting down your computer will disconnect the active VPN connection.