ResNet setup instructions for Mac OS X
Before going ahead with the instructions, please do the following:
- Print these pages for reference
- Have your system account login ready for preferences access
- Read and understand the Terms & Conditions as well as the Acceptable Use Policy
- See the ResNet pages for all requirements
First make sure you have closed any web browsers that may be running on your machine, and any other network-related applications.
- Open the System Preferences window by clicking on the icon in the Dock, or from the Apple menu. The image shows the Dock with System Preferences circled (for OS X 10.2 to 10.4):
In OS X 10.5 the icon has changed to:
- Next open the Network window. There may be two icons which will do this as shown in the image:
- It is recommended that you choose New Location from the Location menu, to store the settings for the Bath network. Give it an intuitive name, such as 'Bath', or 'ResNet', or 'Docking'.
- Make sure that your ethernet interface is selected in the Show field.
- On the TCP/IP tab, choose to Configure Using DHCP. Everything else should be blank.
- The image shows the Network preferences with key areas circled:
Open a web browser (such as Safari). The Docking or ResNet Machine Registration page should appear automatically. If a Registration Page does not appear, hold down the Command key on your keyboard and press the R key.
The Register Machine page will instruct you to reboot your machine after registration. If after reboot you cannot access the network or can only access the Register Machine page, switch your Mac off for 5 minutes and try again.
From the Apple menu choose Software Update...
Please make sure to install Sophos Anti-virus before you continue to use the University of Bath network.