ResNet VoIP Telephone Service
- Connecting your phone and PC
- Finding your handset number
- Making and receiving calls
- Residences with IP telephones
Several student residences now have Voice-over-IP telephones in each room.
These phones allow you to make and receive calls:
- Between rooms (for free).
- With people using the PC phone software (for free).
- To national and international land lines and mobiles (for a fee).
The phone service and Resnet TV service are provided and supported by freewire.
Your phone has two network sockets on the back, one marked LAN (on the right as you face the back of the phone) and one marked PC (on the left as you face the back of the phone) .
Your phone and PC will be connected differently depending on whether your residence has one or two wall sockets:
These instructions apply to residences with two network sockets (Conygre, Cotswold, Derhill, Quantock, Wolfson, Woodland Court, but not Pulteney Court):
- In your room you will find two network sockets, (i.e. 1/201 and 1/202).
- Using the network cable supplied, connect the LAN socket of your phone to the socket with the even port number on the wall(in this case 1/202).
- Using your own network cable (available from the campus computer shop), connect your computer's network socket to the socket with the odd port number (in this case 1/201).
The PC socket of your phone should not be used.
In Pulteney Court there are two sockets, but no phones, only one of the sockets will be active, this may be even or odd.
These instructions apply to all other residences.
- Using the network cable supplied, connect the LAN socket on your phone to the socket on the wall.
- Using your own network cable (available from the campus computer shop) connect the PC socket on your phone to your computer's network socket.
Your telephone will need to connected to the power in order for your PC to work.
When your phone is activated a number of the form 033338-12345 should appear on the screen. This is your handset number.
- To make internal calls you need to use the five digits (12345) of this number.
- To make incoming calls from a mobile or land line you need to use the full number (033338-12345) (see Making and receiving calls below).
If your handset number does not appear on your phone check the Problems? section below.
To raise an emergency call, via security, please dial 666 .
To contact a university phone extension dial 7 and then the four digit extension number. (e.g. to call x1234 dial 7 1234) .
To call another room from a ResNet phone just dial the last five digits of their handset number (e.g. to call 033338-12345, dial 12345)
In order to make outgoing calls to land lines and mobiles you will need to do the following:
- Sign up to the freewire service and get an account number. For instructions on signing up, you should visit the freewire web site: https://www.studentcom.co.uk/.
- Associate your handset with your freewire account. To do this you will need your freewire account number (in the email they send you). Simply dial 170 from your phone and follow the instructions.
- Purchase credit for your account. Instructions for doing this can be found on the freewire web site. Pre-payed phone cards can be bought from the Student Union shop.
Once you have signed up you will be able to make external calls by dialling the relevant phone number including the full STD dialling code.
To phone a resnet phone from an outside line you will need to enter the full handset number of the phone you wish to call.
For example, dial 033338-12345 to ring the handset with that number from an external phone.
Anybody with an internet connection can make calls to your ResNet telephone using the freewire PC phone.
To phone a resnet phone from the PC phone, start the freewire phone application and dial the full handset number of the phone you wish to call.
|Clevelands Buildings (not Canal Wharf)||Yes|
|John Wood Main Building (not John Wood Court)||Yes|
If you are having trouble using your phone, check the following:
- Check that your phone is connected to the correct network socket (see Connecting your phone). And that the power adapter is plugged into the wall and switched on.
- Check that your residence is in the list of active residences above. If your residence is not listed as active then you will need to wait until the date listed.
- Try resetting your phone. Press the Menu button, then the Up arrow, then the Menu button again.
- Press the Menu button, the phone should display:  dhcP On , if it displays:  dhcP oFF , press the Menu button again and push the Up arrow button to change it to: - dhcP On . Then push the Menu button again to store the setting. Then turn the phone off for thirty seconds and then back on.
If you have any queries about the freewire service or you have problems making or receiving calls you can get in touch with free wire using the following contact information:
|Telephone Support||Freewire phone:150, or any other phone:0845 606 0051|