If you are on campus and want to connect your laptop computer to the campus network, you can do this using an ethernet cable - this is called 'docking'.
To be able to dock your laptop, you will need
- a built in Ethernet port or an Ethernet card.
- an Ethernet cable
- a University of Bath username and password
Both the Ethernet card and the cable can be bought at the campus computer shop.
There are several docking stations available in the library allowing you to simply plug in your laptop and have access to
- the web
- printing (not available for Apple Mac)
- your University filespace
Make sure you read and follow the acceptable use policy. Take note of the
- 'install anti-virus' software rule (you could be penalised if you don't)
Finally, make sure your laptop is setup according to instructions applicable to your computer's operating system (OS):
- Instructions for Windows Vista
- Instructions for Windows XP
- Instructions for Linux
- Instructions for Apple Macs with OS X
- Instructions for Windows 2000
Computing Services no longer supports the following operating systems. If your computer runs any of these you are not allowed to connect to the University network. The campus computer shop sells supported operating systems.
- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Windows NT
- Mac OS (prior to Mac OS X)