5 reasons to study physics at Bath
There are lots of reasons to study physics at Bath. Here's our top 5.
1. Learn exciting physics and make a difference
You'll discover things that could be used for future technologies or saving lives.
Learn about nano-engines and organic electronics, investigate graphene properties, study planets and galaxies and understand the structure and evolution of the Universe.
2. Paid work placement
Take advantage of our strong links with industry and do a placement as part of your studies.
Over half of our students go on a placement as part of their degree.
We have 50 years of experience offering placements and links with some of the industry’s leading companies and research institutes. Recent employers include:
- Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- Science & Technology Facilities Council
- BAE Systems
- EDF Energy
- Rolls Royce
Our specialist placements team offers dedicated support when you're looking for a placement and throughout your placement year.
All of our students in 2016/17 received a salary or funding while on placement.
3. Taught by world-leading researchers with top facilities
Our research covers a wide spectrum of activities, from fundamental physics to technological applications. We use and develop cutting-edge experimental and computational facilities in the University and in international laboratories and facilities around the world.
91% of our research is rated world-leading or internationally excellent in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF2014)
Our activities are organised into research groups and centres:
- Astrophysics research group
- Centre for Networks and Collective Behaviour
- Centre for Photonics and Photonic Materials
- Centre for Space, Atmospheric and Oceanic Science
- Nanoscience research group
- Theoretical and Computational Physics research group
You will choose a final year project in one of these areas and you will be working closely with an active researcher in the field.
Our latest research
- A new project is testing a prototype optical microscope, made from a 3D-printed plastic frame, that costs just £30.
- An international team of scientists have captured rare gamma ray bursts in unprecedented detail, unravelling the long-standing mystery of what powers them.
Have a look around our undergraduate teaching lab
4. Excellent job prospects
84% of our employed UK full-time first degree Physics graduates move into top-level jobs within six months of graduation. (Source: Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey (2014/15 and 2015/16))
We are one of the ten universities most often targeted by Britain’s top graduate employers in 2016 to 2017.
5. Highly ranked course and university
We are in the top 10 for physics & astronomy in the Complete University Guide 2018.
Bath has been awarded Gold status in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework.
Bath is the 5th best university in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2018.
Find out more about our courses
Go to our course pages to find out more about the different physics courses we offer, including placement and study year abroad options.