Summer Schools for under-represented groups
An opportunity for Year 12 students to get a taste of university life: staying on campus, carrying out research and working with academic staff and students.
Our Summer Schools
Students can attend our residential Summer Schools during June and July. They live on campus, use University facilities and experience student life.
These Summer Schools are free. There is no charge for meals, accommodation and travel.
Who should come
You should encourage academically-able students who:
- may be less likely to go to a leading university because of their background
- may not be considering going to university at all
How your students gain from this experience
Experience university study
- Attend lectures presented by our academic staff
- Take part in subject taster sessions
- Learn how to carry out university-level research
- Use our laboratories and lecture theatres
Insight into university life
- Talk to current students about university
- Find out about student finance and budgeting
- Experience what life is like as a student
- Enjoy social activities offered by our university clubs and societies, for example, sport, dance and drama
- Use our facilities, including our 24-hour Library, Sports Training Village, and our new arts theatre, The Edge
Support with applying to university and life beyond
- Help with choosing and applying to a university
- Information and advice about higher education
- Tips on future career choices
Your students can attend our Summer Schools if they meet our criteria and specific academic requirements.
Your next step
You can point your students to more information:
If your students are eligible, they can apply for a place.