The new student accommodation will provide an additional 708 en-suite bedrooms to the existing accommodation on campus, divided into 75 flats across two buildings.
The plans were developed in consultation with students and staff with a prototype bedroom built on campus:
- the bedrooms will provide a welcoming environment, space to study, en-suite facilities and infrastructure for the latest technology
- each flat will have a modern kitchen and dining area with floor to ceiling windows that overlook the courtyards to the north and south
- pairs of flats will share a communal lounge to encourage social interaction across different flats
- the lounges will be equipped with wall mounted TVs and moveable seating to enable students to use this space as they see fit.
- planning consent granted February 2013
- due to open summer 2014
- value: £43m
The complex will also be home to a new refectory capable of seating up to 350 people and open to the whole University. The flexible space will offer a café, bar, pizza and pasta eatery and fresh food delicatessen.
A light brick, copper and glass façade will enclose the proposed refectory space, whilst an overhang roof will provide shade and shelter for gathering spaces outside.