The new student accommodation will provide an additional 708 en-suite bedrooms to the existing accommodation on campus, divided into 75 flats across two buildings.
The plans were developed in consultation with students and staff with a prototype bedroom built on campus:
- the bedrooms will provide a welcoming environment, space to study, en-suite facilities and infrastructure for the latest technology
- each flat will have a modern kitchen and dining area with floor to ceiling windows that overlook the courtyards to the north and south
- pairs of flats will share a communal lounge to encourage social interaction across different flats
- the lounges will be equipped with wall mounted TVs and moveable seating to enable students to use this space as they see fit.
- planning consent granted February 2013
- due to open summer 2014
- value: £43m.
The complex will also be home to a new refectory capable of seating up to 350 people and open to the whole University. The flexible space will offer a café, bar, pizza and pasta eatery and fresh food delicatessen.
A light brick, copper and glass façade will enclose the proposed refectory space, whilst an overhang roof will provide shade and shelter for gathering spaces outside.
The buildings will continue to grow quickly over the next few months.