Find further study: how will I get funding?
- Postgraduate funding is complex, and there are many different sources... but no guarantees! The only areas of postgraduate study for which you'll generally get some mandatory funding are teaching, social work and nursing.
- Find out about sources of funding for postgraduate study as soon as possible. There is funding out there but be prepared to compete. Apply early, and if the most obvious sources don't work out, be ready for a more proactive search.
- For research degrees you are unlikely to apply for funding directly on your own. Academics often need to apply with/for you so it is essential that you are first in line as their preferred candidate. Network to gain the support of academics. Some Universities even offer scholarships - another good reason to be in touch early and regularly.
- The main sources are research councils, University scholarships and government departments (in the area you intend to study), but there are still further options. Employers sometime sponsor employees, charities and trusts may provide funding, and many postgraduates fund themselves through Professional and Career Development Loans. These aren't so attractive because they place tighter limits on subject of study, eligibility criteria and the amount of funding. Loans also have to be paid back, and not under such good terms as those for undergraduate loans from the Student Loans Company.
Further reading, contacts and links
- Prospects Postgraduate Funding Guide - available for reference or to take away, or on Prospects.ac.uk.
- Funded postgraduate opportunities - online listings containing all the postgraduate funding opportunities which are notified to us.
- Student Funding Advice (part of Student Services) on campus. Advice and information on funding and budgeting.
- Postgraduate study
at the University of Bath
Webpages include information on funding taught degrees and funding research degrees at Bath.
- Research council sites for information on their remits and award schemes. Please note that you normally apply via the relevant academic department, not directly to the councils.
- Funding information resources - Directories and other funding publications, UK government links, other links.
- Prospects.ac.uk has information on postgraduate study in the UK for international students, including funding.
- University of Bath Alumni Discount gives Bath graduates 10% off postgraduate course fees.
- University of Bath job vacancies page includes some studentships and KTP vacancies within the University.