Where do I look for jobs in Social and Policy Science?
The majority of Bath PhD Social and Policy Sciences graduates go into jobs related to their area of study, mostly in academia and the public sector. However, there are a wide variety of jobs this encompasses; key sources of vacancies in these sectors are also listed here.
Academic and research jobs
- Within the UK , the best place to look is jobs.ac.uk.
- Individual university websites will also advertise all research jobs, and you may see posters up in your department or get emails from academics you know that are recruiting.
- You may also see these posts advertised in the Times Higher Education.
- For academic research jobs in the EU, try the site at academicjobseu.com, while for academic jobs in the US and Canada try higheredjobs for faculty posts and ScienceCareers or Nature for research jobs.
Jobs in industry
This is a huge sector and so we can't provide an exhaustive list. However, these are some of the more popular places to look:
- Individual company websites (use our Employer Index to search by category and link to their websites)
- The national press carries many vacancies, particularly the Guardian.
You might also like to search vacancies in MyFuture.
Jobs in the public, charity and not-for-profit sectors
Opportunities here are varied and so only the more relevant vacancy sites are listed.
- Civil Service
Of special interest to social and policy science researchers might be Government Social Research. You might also be interested in the Civil Service Fast Stream.
- If you are interested in training as a teacher (you could consider teaching Citizenship at secondary level), visit the Training and Development Agency for Schools website.
- Individual organisation websites. The Social Research Association's Useful Links page has an excellent listing.
- Jobsgopublic contains a wide selection of jobs throughout the public sector, including education, health, local and central government and charities.
- Local Government Jobs
- NHS Graduate Scheme (HR and General Management)
- Office for National Statistics
Regularly has vacancies for social researchers to design and analyse the many surveys it carries out.
- Opportunities: the Public Sector Recruitment Weekly
All the latest local authority and public sector vacancies
- The Social Research Association has some interesting opportunities in its jobs section
- The local and national press carries many vacancies, particularly the Guardian on a Wednesday.
- The Research Councils also employ researchers in their work, to assess and review grants among other things, as do other funding bodies.
- ThirdSectorJobs for opportunities in the charitable and voluntary sector
If you feel that there is a useful source here that we have missed, do contact us at email@example.com.