Department of European Studies & Modern Languages, Unit Catalogue 2007/08
EU10621 French written and spoken language 1
| Credits: 12 |
| Academic Year|
|Assessment: CW 50%, EX 50%|
Aims: The aims of this unit are:
* to stimulate and monitor the production of authentic, fluent and accurate written and spoken French;
* to provide a grounding in French grammatical and syntactic structures and heighten student awareness of linguistic difficulties in written communication;
* to promote an awareness of different styles and registers and a proficiency in the comprehension and production of texts in French with reference to contemporary issues;
* to introduce students to the techniques of summarisation, abstraction of argumentation and comparative text analysis.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
* demonstrate a basic grasp of lexis and grammatical structures;
* practise simple, accurate written and spoken receptive and communicative skill;
* demonstrate awareness of style and linguistic register.
Skills in precision and creativity in the use of written and spoken language, effective communication in the target language and translation are taught and assessed in this unit. Skills in effective learning, CIT and adaptation to life in the target countries are developed in this unit.
a. Grammar/Creative Writing: creative writing activities, introduction to résumé; systematic practical grammar course; introduction to CALL multimedia and LogiFrench; development of lexis, text rewriting.
b. Spoken language: comprehension, oral presentation, video work, course related conversation sessions.
c. Translation: varieties of genre and register; written translation from French into English, translation commentary, grammar exercises; introduction to Transit-Tiger.
Key text: M.Jubb & A. Rouxeville, 2003, Grammar in Context, Arnold.