Department of European Studies & Modern Languages, Unit Catalogue 2007/08
EU20667 La France et la mondialisation
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: CW 33%, ES 67%|
|Before taking this unit you must take EU20011|
* To deepen students' comprehension of political life;
* To develop their understanding of the processes of globalisation as related to France;
* To examine the ways in which national traditions both impact on and are challenged by globalisation.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
* Identify France's key perspectives on globalisation;
* Analyse the main issues and debates connected with globalisation;
* Evaluate the ways which French has adapted to globalisation.
Skills in critical analysis, conceptual thinking, precision in the use of written and spoken language, exercise of independent judgement, reasoned argument, effective communication in the target language, teamwork and the planning/conduct/reporting of non-quantitative research are developed and assessed in this unit.
* Differing conceptions of globalisation (political, economic, cultural).
* France and international diplomacy.
* France and the cultural implications of globalisation.
* France and the economic aspects of globalisation.
* The impacts of globalisation on domestic political debates and policies.
Key text: Baudrand, V. (2002) Les Eléments clés de la mondialisation, Paris: Jeunes Editions. The unit is taught in French.