School of Management, Unit Catalogue 2007/08
MN10073 Marketing 1 (principles of marketing)
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: EX 100%|
|In taking this unit you cannot take MN20016|
Aims: This module aims to:
Provide an introduction to the concepts, analyses and activities that comprise marketing management. To develop an understanding of the role and practice of marketing as a management function and organisational philosophy. To provide practice in assessing and solving marketing problems - reflecting the belief that the most effective learning comes from making marketing decisions. To lay the foundations for students wishing to take more specialised courses in marketing.
After completing the unit, the student should be able to a) understand the principles of building brands and implementing promotion and advertising activities and b) prepare a marketing plan.
* Develop the ability to conceptualize marketing problems by using a series of analytical tools.
* Develop the ability to plan and rationalize marketing activities
* Develop presentation skills in the classroom.
The course will contain a range of lectures, in-class assignments and case-studies and exercises for the following topics:
* Introduction to Marketing Concepts
* Marketing Planning & Writing Marketing Plans
* Marketing Strategy
* Product Policy & NPD
* Promotion and Advertising
* Distribution Strategy
* Information and Research