Department of Pharmacy & Pharmacology, Unit Catalogue 2007/08
PA50213 Masters dissertation
| Credits: 24 |
| Modular: no specific semester|
|Before taking this unit you must take PA50198|
Aims: To enable students to conduct a piece of independent research and to present their findings as a dissertation.
After completion of the dissertation the student will be able to:
1. Design a piece of independent study (knowledge and understanding, professional practical skill).
2. Follow the process for obtaining ethical approval for research work (professional practical skill).
3. Collect data using appropriate tools and methodologies (knowledge and understanding).
4. Critically analyse data and draw appropriate conclusions / recommendations from these data (intellectual skill).
5. Critically evaluate the literature associated with a given research topic (intellectual skill).
6. Present information in an appropriate format (personal transferable skill).
* Planning & organisation (Taught / Facilitated)
* Handling information (Taught / Facilitated /Assessed)
* Written and verbal communication (Taught / Facilitated /Assessed)
* Working with others (Taught / Facilitated)
* Scientific & practical skills (Taught / Facilitated /Assessed)
* Problem solving (Taught / Facilitated /Assessed).
The student will undertake a piece of work which will entail the following stages:
* Project Design
* Ethics Committee Approval
* Instrument/experimental design and piloting
* Data Collection
* Data Analysis
* Preparation of Conclusions
* Presentation of completed dissertation.