Department of Chemical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
CE10086 Instrumentation & control
| Credits: 3 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: EX 100%|
Aims: To introduce and develop key concepts in instrumentation and control of relevance to the chemical engineering profession.
After successfully completing this unit students should be able to:
* Identify and define the basic features of a control loop.
* Propose control strategies and solutions.
* Calculate pumping requirements.
* Select appropriate valves and pumps for particular applications.
* Select an appropriate flow measuring, temperature or pressure device for a particular application.
Analysis and problem solving.
* Temperature measuring devices.
* Flow measuring devices.
* Pressure measuring devices.
* Control loops.
* Control strategies.