Department of Chemical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
CE10161 Chemical engineering skills
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
|While taking this unit you must take CE10078 and take CE10079 and take CE10080 and take MA10192|
Aims: To introduce students to the basic skills required of a chemical engineer, especially in communication, problem solving and statistical analysis.
After successfully completing this unit students should be able to:
* Appreciate the role of the chemical engineer as a professional.
* Be able to use a variety of different sources (internet, library etc.) to obtain information.
* Be aware of the proper use of units, symbols and quantities.
* Understand the underlying methodology of science.
* Be able to conduct a basic error analysis on experimental data.
* Be able to solve simple problems in chemical engineering, mainly numerical.
* Be able to prepare effectively for assessments (especially examinations).
Industrial awareness, communication, numeracy, data management. Facilitated and assessed.
* The nature of the modern chemical industry.
* The role of the chemical engineer.
* Listening, writing, taking notes and reporting.
* Data treatment and error analysis.
* Analysis of chemical engineering problems.
* Preparation for assessments (especially examinations).