Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
XX50140 MRes dissertation
| Credits: 30 |
| Dissertation period|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims: To support students, within an active research community, identify a feasible research question, relate it to relevant literature and develop a cogent and coherent argument that addresses the research question.
Objectives: By the end of the unit, the students should be able: Knowledge and Understanding:
* demonstrate a good knowledge of the literature on the chosen research question;
* present independent analysis, argument and/or application of theory in a coherent fashion. Intellectual skills:
* define a researchable question/focus;
* integrate evidence to support arguments;
* appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of existing literature;
* develop and present a detailed argument in an original or stimulating way. Professional practice skills:
* identify and access relevant information sources;
* understand and apply in a correct fashion key research presentation skills such as referencing, bibliographical information, comprehensible tables and diagrams;
* demonstrate good computing skills;
* communicate arguments in a coherent and interesting manner. Transferable/Key
* apply research management skills such as time and resource planning and monitoring, archiving of data;
* develop good writing, presentation and dissemination skills, including the use of Internet-based tools;
* competency in the presentation of research findings.
Any area of research for which an adequate level of supervision can be offered.