Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME10004 Solid mechanics 1
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: EX 100%|
Aims: To introduce the fundamental principles of statics, kinematics and dynamics as applied in an engineering context. To develop judgement in system description and modelling.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Understand the nature of statical determinacy and free body diagrams. Analyse pin-jointed frames.
* Formulate and solve equations of motion.
* Apply Newton's laws to problems of non-constant acceleration. Calculate work done by forces and torques.
* Understand power, efficiency, kinetic and potential energy of a mechanical system.
* Calculate stresses and strains for simple cases of loading and displacement.
* Analyse problems of rotational and combined motion.
Numeracy; problem solving; working independently.
Statical determinacy; free body diagrams; pin-jointed frames; tension coefficients. Free body systems in dynamics; friction; Newton's laws; non-constant acceleration; energy and momentum. Stress and strain; statical indeterminacy; torsion. Rotational motion; moments of inertia; combined motion; geared systems.