Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME10006 Design materials & manufacturing 1
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 65%, EX 35%|
* To introduce students to the concept of the design process and visual thinking.
* To introduce basic manufacturing processes
* To show the link between design and manufacture.
* To develop self-instructional learning skills.
* To become familiar with engineering artefacts and processes
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Produce and interpret engineering drawings for manufacture and assembly.
* Make freehand engineering sketches.
* Understand the processes of machining, forming and joining and the heat treatment of metals.
* Select from an extending range of traditional manufacturing processes.
* Use a workbook approach for self-learning.
Problem solving; written communication; working as part of a group; leadership.
Machining, forming, heat treatment, mechanical joints, liquid phase joints. British Standards. Sketching. Dimensioning. Tolerancing. Layouts. Orthogonal, Isometric projections.