Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME10012 Design materials & manufacturing 2
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: CW 65%, EX 35%|
|Before taking this unit you must take ME10006|
* To introduce the component elements of design.
* To enable the student to become acquainted with the basic principles of design, and the design process.
* To provide fundamental knowledge about metals, their structure and properties.
* To provide a holistic view of the process and decisions to be taken in real design problems.
* To become familiar with engineering artefacts and processes.
After taking this unit the student should be able to: Analyse, select and integrate standard components into detailed designs. Develop a partial requirement specification from a design brief. Analyse a problem and select a solution from a range of alternatives. Produce detailed drawings of components to ensure that they perform the desired function and can be manufactured. Define the key mechanical properties of metals. Compare and contrast some of the common metals used for engineering manufacture. Explain how the mechanical properties of metals can be related to their microstructure. Identify the features and limitations of various processes.
Problem solving; written communication; working as part of group.
The design process; principles of design; Elements: springs, bearings, seals, fixing and fastening systems, power transmission systems. Electric motors. Design & Make Activities. Study guide. Introduction to manufacturing. Mechanical properties of metals. Selection of materials. Microstructure. Casting. Alloys.