Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME20013 Systems & control
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: EX 85%, PR 15%|
* To examine the behaviour of a variety of physical systems commonly used in control applications.
* To develop an understanding of the operational behaviour of control systems, this to allow the application of classical control theory to system analysis and design.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Predict the behaviour of simple control systems.
* Determine a control system's frequency response and stability characteristics.
* Improve steady state and dynamic performance using compensation techniques.
Problem solving; numeracy; working independently.
System modelling. Open and closed loop control. Block diagram representation. Block diagram manipulation. Transfer functions and Laplace notation. Transient performance of simple systems. System errors. Frequency response representation of systems. Bode diagrams. System stability assessment techniques. System identification. Compensation techniques. Control laboratory experiment.