Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME20018 Design 3
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
|Before taking this unit you must take ME10012|
* To show how engineering sub-assemblies comprise both standard and bespoke designed components.
* To demonstrate the importance of optimisation within an iterative design process in contrast to adequate design in terms of functionality, geometry and material selection.
* To show how a successful design can be achieved by integrating analytical skills from the engineering sciences.
* To introduce design methods and design for X approaches.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Design a sub-assembly in detail using correctly selected components and design ancillary items to meet a requirement.
* Design an engineering product.
* Recognise the importance of completing comprehensive design analysis, component drawings and sub-assembly drawings in order to achieve a successful solution.
* Understand engineering product characteristics.
Problem solving; numeracy; IT; working as part of a group; leadership.
Embodiment design: To include shafts, coupling, keyway, welded and bolted joint design, bearing, pulley, gear analysis. combined loadings, design factors and optimisation techniques.