Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME30067 Vehicle dynamics
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: EX 100%|
|Before taking this unit you must take ME30033|
Aims: To give the student an appreciation of factors affecting vehicle dynamics, including ride comfort and handling.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Describe and analyse the operation of a vehicle suspension and predict vehicle ride behaviour and steady state handling performance.
* Explain the physical principles of road vehicle aerodynamic design.
Numeracy; problem solving; working independently.
* Disturbance and sensitivity.
* Basic suspension systems.
* System frequencies - bounce, pitch and roll.
* Tyre behaviour. Front/rear suspensions - Springs and dampers.
* Roll centre.
* Load Transfer. Steady state handling characteristics.
* Drag & Lift.
* Economy & Performance. Aerodynamic Design.