Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME30068 Group business & design project - I
| Credits: 12 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
|Before taking this unit you must take ME20025 and take ME20026|
* To give each student the experience of a real engineering design situation as part of a group.
* To locate the contribution of the engineer, whether in design, R&D, manufacture, in the context of securing the firms broad commercial goals by means of effective product and market related policies and practices.
* To introduce the students to issues associated with entrepreneurship, sustainability and the environment.
* To introduce the student to team working.
* To introduce financial management procedures, marketing, ethics, risk assessment and business law.
On successful completion of this unit the student will have:
* Demonstrated a detailed knowledge and understanding of the technical process that is engineering design.
* Demonstrated a detailed knowledge and understanding of the business and entrepreneural aspects of engineering.
* Worked in a multi-disciplinary team.
Problem solving; numeracy; written communication; oral communication; working as part of a group; leadership.
Evaluation study. Business lectures and workshops. Business game. Case studies. Seminar.