Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME30197 Business processes
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 50%, EX 50%|
Aims: To provide:
* An understanding of the various business processes required to operate a manufacturing business.
* A knowledge of business economics and its use in decision making.
* An understanding of project costing
* An understanding of various business processes such as TQM, change management and BPR
* A knowledge of business strategy.
* An understanding of marketing strategy and techniques.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Analyse supply and demand data.
* Carry out financial appraisals of engineering projects
* Take part in the implementation of TQM, BPR and other operations management techniques.
* Write a mission statement and analyse and develop an engineering businesses strategy.
* Analyse market data and develop alternative marketing strategies.
Problem solving; written communication; working independently.
Business Economics - supply demand, elasticity, financial markets. Project Accounting - Cost cash flow, ROI NPV, resource planning . Marketing - Price, the marketing mix, advertising, promotion, budgets. Operations - TQM, change management, BPR, SUR and other initiatives. Strategy - Missions, objectives, internal and external analysis, options, implementation. Topics for self study that could be examained.