Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
ME40049 Innovation and advanced design
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 50%, EX 50%|
|Before taking this unit you must take ME30294|
* To provide an understanding of the processes whereby the effect of a product can be evaluated.
* To provide an understanding of innovation in an industrial context.
* To introduce a number of innovation techniques, particularly the TRIZ method.
* To introduce a number of advanced design techniques and methods, including design management techniques to enable innovation to be executed and managed.
After taking this unit the student should be able to:
* Understand the processes of innovation.
* Use a number of innovation methods and techniques.
* Apply the processes to the development of new products.
* Understand the effects of change on the processes and markets. Understand the concept of product architecture and will be able to apply a number of advanced techniques such as QFD to their work.
* Understand the economics of product development, and the impact of time and cost overruns.
Problem solving; IT; working independently; written communication.
Discipline in innovation, Creative processes, TRIZ, Inventive principles, Predictable evolution, Function analysis, Marketing innovation, Case studies. The product development process and problem definition for innovation. Product trade offs. Quality function deployment. Product architecture. Incremental design strategies. Managing design information. Product development team studies. Case studies. Topics for self study that could be examined.