Department of Chemistry, Unit Catalogue 2009/10
CH20179: Physical chemistry 4 for visiting students
|Supplementary Assessment:||Supplementary assessment information not currently available (this will be added shortly)|
|Requisites:||In taking this unit you cannot take CH20151 or take CH20152|
Second half of year long unit: To introduce and expand on advanced physical chemistry methods in kinetics, spectroscopy, surfaces and quantum mechanics.
After studying this Unit, students should be able to:
* Account in kinetic terms for the mechanism of reactions in liquids;
* Describe the effect of light on some chemical reactions and account for the rates of photochemical processes;
* Describe and define the types of adsorption at solid surfaces;
* Explain the qualitative and quantitative basis of catalysis and physical adsorption;
* Define surface tension and solve simple problems involving its application;
* Define and interpret the forces between two colloids.
Numeracy (F, A), Problem solving (T, F, A), Independent working (F).
Theoretical treatments of reaction kinetics and examples of their application e.g. Reactions in solution. Diffusion and activation control, the "cage" effect.
Experimental methods for studying reactions:
Basic photochemical methods and processes. Applications of photochemistry. Kinetics of photochemical reactions.
Introduction to surfaces. chemisorption versus physisorption.
adsorbed amounts. Types of isotherms: Langmuir Isotherm. determination of heat of adsorption,BET isotherm: Introduction to heterogeneous catalysis. Kinetics of catalysis. Langmuir Hinshelwood mechanism. Eley Rideal mechanism. Catalysis examples Molecular basis and consequences of surface tension. Colloid stability. Micellisation. Gibbs equation.