Department of Computer Science, Unit Catalogue 2009/10
CM10197: Analytical mathematics for applications
|Assessment:||CW 25%, EX 75%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||CM10197 Mandatory Extra Work (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take CM10196|
To introduce students to a mathematical basis to support computer science in general and other Computer Science units in particular.
On completion of the unit the students will be able to:
1. understand and use the language of mathematics;
2. apply knowledge of appropriate analytic mathematics for use in the development of applications;
3. use appropriate software tools to investigate mathematical problems.
Application of Number (T/F, A), Problem Solving (T/F, A).
* Complex Numbers.
* Differential Calculus (elementary differentiation and integration).
* Linear Algebra and vector analysis (elementary matrices and vectors).
* Approximation and sequences (including Taylor expansion and least-squares fit).