Department of European Studies & Modern Languages, Unit Catalogue 2009/10
EU10638: Spanish written and spoken language 1
|Assessment:||CW 50%, EX 50%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
* To refresh and consolidate students' knowledge and understanding of fundamental grammatical structures
* To improve students' communicative and listening skills (oral/aural) in a variety of contexts
* To expand their vocabulary so that they are able to express themselves clearly and appropriately in a variety of contexts
* To improve students' receptive and productive written communication skills in Spanish in a communicative and participative atmosphere.
On completion of the unit, students should be able to apply the skills acquired to the production of coherent and fluent written and oral work; they will also be familiar with a variety of Spanish texts dealing with appropriate contemporary issues.
Skills in precision and creativity in the use of written and spoken language, effective communication in the target language and translation are taught and assessed in this unit. Skills in effective learning, CIT and adaptation to life in the target countries are developed in this unit.
* The consolidation of grammar focuses on the effective and accurate use of basic structures and tenses. Activities focused on specific areas of grammar (prepositions, objects etc) will also be included.
* In text analysis, students will develop reading and writing skills, skills in critical analysis of texts, and elementary translation into both languages.
* Students will discuss a variety of topics related to culture, politics, business and society in Spanish-speaking countries. Such themes will be developed in oral presentations.
Key text: Kattán-Ibarra, J & Howkins, A (2003) Spanish Grammar in Context, Arnold.