Department of European Studies & Modern Languages, Unit Catalogue 2009/10
EU20633: Italian written and spoken language 2
|Assessment:||CW 30%, EX 50%, OR 20%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
This unit aims:
* to broaden students' command of contemporary written Italian with greater emphasis on resolving complex grammatical points;
* to build on the communication skills acquired in Year 1;
* to improve oral proficiency and aural comprehension;
* to expand students' vocabulary in social and cultural areas and to develop sensitivity to style and register.
On completion of this unit students should:
* be able to translate different styles of Italian advanced texts using a fluent and appropriate register;
* have developed an extensive vocabulary in Italian, drawn from literary and political texts;
* be able to converse in Italian using sophisticated grammar and advanced level vocabulary;
* be familiar with a range of linguistic registers and vocabulary in Italian;
* have developed their oral and aural skills to a fairly advanced level.
Skills in precision and creativity in the use of written and spoken language, effective communication in the target language and translation are taught and assessed in this unit. Skills in effective learning, CIT and adaptation to life in the target country are developed in this unit.
Written Language: prose and translation exercises from a variety of literary and non-literary texts; general essays.
Spoken Language: role-playing, paired and group activities, dictation, summarisation of audio-visual texts in Italian, reading, conversation classes.