Department of Mechanical Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2009/10
ME50316: Project phase 1
|Supplementary Assessment:||ME50316 Re-assessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
* An understanding of the approach to undertaking focussed background research work. This will use a number of the techniques taught in Unit ME50173.
* To build up domain knowledge in the area of the specific project.
* To develop a thorough understanding of current practice and its limitations.
* To start the appreciation and anticipation of the new developments and their implications.
On successful completion of the unit the student will have:
* Acquired, analysed and processed data from a variety of sources.
* Analysed patents, market data, experimental data, research literature, competitor products, and make state of the art predictions and benchmarks.
* Produced succinct topic specific research reports, design files, briefing reports.
* Shown sound judgement and initiative in the initial stages of undertaking an engineering project.
* Produced a project plan.
Multi source data and information analysis, data and information synthesis, problem analysis, written communication; working independently.
Students will undertake project scoping activity, leading up to full time individual project activity during the summer period. Students will be required to demonstrate understanding of the learning outcomes by way of a project scoping report.