Department of Psychology, Unit Catalogue 2009/10
PS50055: Health Psychology dissertation
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||While taking this unit you must take PS50051|
To provide students with the opportunity to carry out an independent research project by putting into practice some of the methods, theories and skills that they have learned during the taught units.
On completion of the dissertation, students will:
* Have developed their research skills.
* Developed the skills required for both autonomous and team work.
* Developed transferable skills that will prepare them for postgraduate employment or further study
* Developed their critical, analytical problem-based learning skills.
* To communicate an argument
* To critically evaluate and assess research and evidence
* To gather information from a number of sources
* To synthesise information from a number of sources in order to gain a coherent understanding.
Professional / Practical
* To effectively and efficiently apply principles of health psychology within a health context
* To be aware of ethical and professional issues in carrying out research
* Time management and administration skills
* Presentation skills and verbal communication
* To reflect on his/her academic performance and take responsibility for personal and professional learning and development.
The student will carry out a substantial research project of their own design, in health psychology, under the joint supervision of a academic and placement supervisor(s).