This unit aims to:
* Explore the history and development of harm reduction approaches;
* Develop understanding of current harm reduction interventions and initiatives, their rationale and implementation;
* Critically examine the evidence of the impact of interventions in reducing drug related harm;
* Examine the relationship between harm reduction and abstinence based philosophies.
At the end of this unit, students will be able to:
* Explain what factors led to the development of a Harm Reduction response to problem drug use in the UK;
* Describe the rationale for and delivery of current harm reduction interventions;
* Evaluate key evidence concerning the effectiveness of HR approaches.
* analysing how social, political and medical pressures shaped policy and produced practical responses.
* evaluating research evidence.
* identifying risk for drug related harm.
* reviewing available services and ensuring client access.
This unit is concerned with:
* Historical development of the Harm Reduction response;
* National and international Harm Reduction strategies;
* Services promoting safer using and drinking practices.