To develop the skills and knowledge needed by students to operate effectively within the workplace and to succeed at Intermediate level of their degree programme. Students will draw on learning from all the common units and focus on the personal and professional skills specified as required for the employment sector and identified by the Curriculum Working Group.
On successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
* Demonstrate the ability and confidence to develop their personal and professional skills by working in an independent and autonomous way;
* Communicate effectively using different formats and identify and solve problems in a work based environment;
* Understand the roles of individuals in the workplace, their rights, responsibilities and performance evaluation;
* Understand the theory and practice of working with others, including team work, group work, group dynamics and conflict resolution.
* Improving own learning and performance
* Applying theory to practice
* Developing reflective practice in self and others
* Working in an independent and autonomous way
* Communicating professionally - including confidentiality
* Communicating - using different formats (face to face, telephone, e-mail, written report and oral presentation) and with different audiences (peers, work colleagues, managers)
* Solving problems
* Working effectively as a team and group
* Assessing strengths and development needs.
The programme of teaching in this unit will focus on support for group and individual learning programmes through the use of a variety of methods including: Problem based exercises, case studies, group work, information technology, class exercises, and role play.
Teaching and learning strategies should use subject specific or work based examples where appropriate.
* Review the development of individual's learning during the programme;
* Communication skills - personal and professional;
* Understand individual rights, responsibilities, roles and performance requirements in the workplace;
* Understand the theory and professional practice requirements of working with others, including team work, group work, group dynamics and conflict resolution;
* Understand strategies to solve problems in a work based environment.