The aim of this unit is to demonstrate project management techniques and to undertake a pathway specific work-based research project, which introduces new knowledge, practice or policy to a workplace and should build on the skills gained in the 'Research Methods' unit. The content and assignment briefs for this unit will be contextualised to meet the needs of the pathway and the specific work-based setting.
The student should be able to:
* Demonstrate the knowledge and skills required for the successful management of a project
* Set a project in the broader management or organisational context, taking into account relevant theories and practices
* Identify, research and analyse a specific work-based issue or opportunity of either practice or policy origin
* Produce a research proposal, strategy and plan, and show how appropriate goals will be achieved
* Present this research proposal in the workplace for approval
* Conduct and manage the research
* Evaluate the outcomes of the research, make recommendations and produce a final report of the research.
Intellectual: (taught, facilitated and assessed) - principles of project and research management, range of approaches, techniques and tools used to manage projects, project lifecycle from conception to evaluation, project and research design.
Professional: (taught, facilitated and assessed) - analysis and research in the workplace, research techniques, working within an organisation, confidentiality issues, ethical boundaries of research.
Practical: (taught, facilitated and assessed) - research methodology, literature searches, developing proposals, selecting appropriate criteria, evaluation techniques, consultation, report-writing.
Key Skills (facilitated - assessed through other units) - this unit will support students in the demonstration of competence in professional and practical skills to be used in the workplace.
This unit concentrates on developing a clear understanding of research methodologies in a work-based situation and helps develop project-management skills by the implementation and delivery of that project. The clear basis of this module is to follow a research project from initial thoughts through proposals, implementation to final recommendation and evaluation.