This unit allows students to understand, appreciate and critically evaluate the diversity in coaching cultures and coaching philosophies, comparing different countries from grass roots through to professional sport.
At the end of this unit students will be able to:
* Appraise and evaluate the coaching cultures of different countries;
* Understand what a coaching philosophy is;
* Develop their own coaching philosophy through practical and theoretical means;
* Critically analyse cultures & philosophies from grass roots to professionalism.
Intellectual: (T, F and A) Knowledge of cultures and philosophies from various countries and at different levels. Compare, contrast and systematically analyse coaching cultures and personal coaching philosophies.
Professional: (F) Independent research, presentation skills, report writing
Practical: (T, F and A) Analyse, observe, research and reflect on coaching theory and practice
Key: (F and A) Planning, communication, problem solving & decision making skills
(T: Taught, F: Facilitated, A: Assessed)
* Compare & analyse the coaching cultures & philosophies of leading coaching / performance nations, analysing grass roots through to professional sport
* Understand the influences behind these cultures and the influence on coaching (e.g. home-grown or imported talent?)
* What is a coaching philosophy?
* Development of functional & flexible coaching philosophies (incorporating changes due to experience, levels and different sports).