The aim of this unit is to introduce the student to material handling systems and the control of materials in an organisation. Consequently the student will be able to investigate the efficient scheduling and movement of materials within that organisation.
By the end of the unit students should be able to:
* Analyse and evaluate material handling systems;
* Evaluate systems for tracking materials;
* Design an efficient layout for a material handling system.
Skills:During this unit students should gain the following skills:
* gathering, processing and analysing technical information (A)
* synthesise and evaluate information in order to formulate outcomes (F,T,A)
* making written presentations (A)
* developing identification and observational skills to maintain records and contribute to reports (T,A)
* carrying out practical and evaluative investigations of engineering systems (F,A)
* writing reports (A)
* applying numerical techniques (T,A)
* using graphs and tables to present experimental results (F,A).
This unit focuses on:
* features of modern material handling systems;
* criteria for the selection of materials handling system;
* system modelling techniques;
* critical path analysis;
* critical control points;
* movements, conditions and constraints;
* health and safety, COSSH.