Foreign Languages Centre, Unit Catalogue 2010/11
FL20175: German stage 5 semester 1 (3 credits)
|Period:||This unit is available in...|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Reassessment not allowed|
|Description:||NB. Students wishing to take this unit should apply via the Foreign Languages Centre website from August onwards.|
The course aims to broaden students' skills to enable them to undertake spontaneous selection and adaptation of the language.
On completion of the course students will be able to
* Express themselves with reasonable fluency and spontaneity without obvious searching for expressions.
* Manage social and professional interactions with a fair degree of flexibility.
* Formulate ideas and opinions with a fair degree of precision.
* Understand extended speech, which may not always be clearly structured.
* Understand factual, discursive and literary texts, aimed at the general reader, appreciating some distinctions of style.
* Express themselves in clear, well structured text, expressing points of view at some length.
* Write about complex subjects in a letter, an essay or a report, underlining what they consider to be the salient issues.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught.
This course will enable students to consolidate and to extend previously acquired language structures and skills, using all four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing. Students will discuss social, cultural and political issues with the help of up-to-date authentic reading and audio-visual material. Authentic material will broaden the knowledge and appreciation of various aspects of the country/ countries, in which the target language is spoken.