Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Honours (FHEQ level 6)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||While taking this unit you must take AR30093|
* To help each student develop a clear conceptual and intellectual position as part of the architectural design process.
* To explore and analyse a given urban and cultural context as part of the design process.
* To increase the degree of project complexity in preparation for 4th year.
* To develop collaborate working skills through a joint design project.
* To exploit the international SOCRATES profile of the year and the opportunities this provides to exchange diverse cultural backgrounds and experiences.
Demonstration of the ability to:
* meet the requirements of a given brief.
* prepare a coherent architectural design for a medium rise new building.
* devise and employ a clear ordering system within a design proposal which integrates organisational, spatial and structural requirements.
* develop a given brief and prepare a building proposal which addresses a specific urban realm in cultural and physical terms.
* work as part of a team.
The demonstration of an awareness of how the built environment is really experienced by its users.
Increased ability to communicate information both verbally and graphically, using a diverse range of media and model-making techniques.
The Semester will include a short exercise in urban analysis before the students form small groups with Engineering students in order to develop designs to a given brief. The projects will run parallel to the AR30093 Urban Studies and will be use as a vehicle for the course work assessment of this unit. The period after Christmas will provide the students with the opportunity to undertake a study tour to a European city.
AR30019 is Optional on the following programmes:Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering