Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Masters UG & PG (FHEQ level 7)|
|Assessment:||CW 10%, EX 90%|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Reassessment exam (where allowed by programme regulations)|
|Requisites:||Before taking this unit you must take AR10311 and take AR20320|
To develop an awareness of, enthusiasm and skills for the planning, design and construction of maritime structures on coasts and offshore.
On successful completion of this unit the student will be able to:
* demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the fundamental aspects affecting coastal environments and civil engineering works on coasts.
* demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the design of a range of coastal structures, including coastal sea defences, harbours, marinas and breakwaters.
* demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the main elements involved in offshore engineering.
* demonstrate knowledge of understanding of the design of offshore structures.
* To understand taught material - taught.
* Analytical and design skills related to the material covered - assessed.
* To communicate ideas verbally and in writing - facilitated and assessed.
Coastal Engineering: Wave and tidal theory, coastal environments, coastal processes, wave transformations, coastal defences and protection, coastal structures.
Offshore Engineering: Offshore hydrodynamics, wave loading, design wave, offshore structures, and marine renewable energy.
AR40321 is Optional on the following programmes:Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering