Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Masters UG & PG (FHEQ level 7)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
To create an awareness of the physical environment around buildings, and to demonstrate a range of appropriate measures for modifying this environment, through passive and active, visual and technical means. In addition, to introduce principles of sustainable environmental urban design; and develop an awareness and enthusiasm for building design and construction using natural materials, and current methods and techniques.
On successful completion of this unit the student will have demonstrated the following:
* the needs and aspirations of building users
* the impact of buildings on the environment, and the precepts of sustainable design
* the way in which buildings fit into their local context
* the physical properties and characteristics of building materials, components and systems, and the environmental impact of specification choices
Have knowledge of:
* principles associated with designing optimum visual, thermal and acoustic environments
* systems for environmental comfort realised within relevant precepts of sustainable design.
Independent research, design, and communication of information.
The unit will comprise of lectures covering prevalent landscape and ecological attitudes; principles of sustainability in the urban context; environmental design and the impact of building materials; selected natural alternatives and methods; recycled natural products; natural building materials and building regulation requirements.
AR40363 is a Designated Essential Unit on the following programmes:Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering