Learning Partnerships, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Certificate (FHEQ level 4)|
Semester 1 at City of Bath College|
Semester 1 at Weymouth College
|Supplementary Assessment:||Supplementary assessment information not currently available (this will be added shortly)|
The aim of this unit is to explore the structure, function and movement capabilities of the body via the skeletal, muscular and cardio-respiratory systems.
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
* Identify and outline the structure and functions of the skeletal, muscular and cardio-respiratory systems;
* Outline how the human body functions as an integrated system.
* Personal study and research skills (F)
* Expressing skills of criticising, synthesizing and evaluating in relation to the vocational context (F)
* Prioritising time and tasks (F)
* Self organisation and management (F)
* Communicating professionally (F, A)
* Communication (F, A)
* ICT (F)
* Improving own learning and performance (F, A)
* Applying theory to practice (T, F, A).
Anatomical terms and features of the human skeleton;
Bones and Joints - Axial and Appendicular skeleton, regions of the spine, classification of bones and joints, joint movements;
Muscles and muscle actions - Types and structure of muscles, major muscles of the human body, muscle actions and muscular contraction, muscle force and motor unit recruitment;
Structure and function of the heart - the heart, cardiac cycle, heart rate, stroke volume, cardiac cycle;
Structure and function of the vasculature system - arteries, veins, capillaries, gaseous exchange, circulatory system;
Structure and function of the respiratory system - respiration and the breathing action, muscles associated with breathing, lung volumes.
AS10402 is Compulsory on the following programmes:Learning Partnerships