Department of Education, Unit Catalogue 2011/12
|Level:||Masters UG & PG (FHEQ level 7)|
Modular (no specific semester)|
|Supplementary Assessment:||Like-for-like reassessment (where allowed by programme regulations)|
* to stimulate debate relating to the concept of international education;
* to stimulate debate relating to the concept of international schools, and its relation to the concept of international education;
* to promote better understanding of the two concepts as a result of consideration of the characteristics which define them;
* to highlight issues which are of particular relevance to the context of international schools and international education;
* to encourage participants to reflect on, and draw on, their own experience, and to consider how their own professional practice might be improved through greater appreciation of these issues.
Having studied this unit, students will be able to:
* demonstrate understanding of issues relating to defining the concept of international schools;
* demonstrate understanding of the concept of international education, and its relationship to the concept of international schools;
* discuss the relationship between values and ideologies, and how the underlying value system of a school relates to the curriculum and management style adopted;
* demonstrate familiarity with issues which are of particular relevance to students and teachers in the context of international schools and international education;
* relate their understanding of issues arising from research in this context to their own experience and to the improvement of their own practice.
Self-directed learning (F)
Problem analysis, research and reflection (T/F/A)
Independent working (F)
Oral presentation (F)
Written communication (F/A)
1. Make critical use of the literature of the field of Education (T/F/A).
2. Make critical use of professional experience in the field of Education (T/F/A).
4. Analyse, interpret and critique findings and arguments (T/F/A).
9. Demonstrate self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems (T/F).
10. Evaluate research and variety of types of information and evidence critically, also making informed judgements in the absence of complete data (T/F/A)
12. Contribute to professional debate in the field of education (F).
13. Act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks at a professional level (F).
14. Communicate their conclusions clearly to specialist and non-specialist audiences (T/F).
15. Evaluate their own academic and professional performance (F).
16. Manage change effectively and respond to changing demands (F).
17. Manage time, prioritise workloads and recognise and manage personal emotions and stress (F).
18. Develop new or higher level skill, for example in information technology (F).
The unit will address a number of issues, including the following:
* Values in education, both nationally and internationally
* Culture and the curriculum
* The concept of an international curriculum
* The concept of international schools
* The concept of international education
* Some issues particularly relating to teachers and international education
* Some issues particularly relating to students and international education
* The development of a model for international education.
ED50311 is Compulsory on the following programmes:Department of Education
ED50311 is Optional on the following programmes:Department of Education